Winter Solstice traditions hold a high place in many cultures across time and distance. Whether you celebrate Yule in Scandinavia, Saturnalia in Rome, Dong in China, Yalda in Persia, or any other festival that marks the Winter Solstice, you are part of centuries-old traditions still celebrated and revered by millions of people across the globe. In keeping with this world-wide view, our theme for the day is Yule Across the Known World. Join Lyondemere and Gyldenholt in a celebration of these traditions on December 7, 2019. We have a wonderful day planned, including a dessert contest, a wonderful feast, merriment, and entertainment.
Events Throughout the Day
- Arts & Sciences: Krampus! Enter a terrifying mask, win a prize! To be decided by popular vote.
- We invite the populace to bring a Potluck Dessert, please provide a list of ingredients. The Yule Sweets Champion will be decided by our Guests of Honor.
- Table Decorations: Vikings and Mongols and Greeks, oh my! You are invited to decorate the table with items representative of your chosen culture’s unique historical celebration. Knockout gorgeous is also highly encouraged. The populace favorite will be awarded a prize.
- Youth Activity: To be determined, but we promise it will be fun!
- Feast: Menu is yet to be finalized, please email the event steward for vegetarian or allergen needs.
- Bardic:We would love to include you in our festivities. Please contact the event steward to arrange a time in the schedule of the day.
- White Elephant Gift Exchange: If you would like to participate, please bring a gift valued no more than $20
El Segundo Masonic Center
520 Main Street
El Segundo, CA 90245
From the 405 freeway, exit El Segundo Blvd West, right turn on Main Street, the hall is several blocks North of El Segundo Blvd. There is a parking lot that is accessed via the alley behind the property and lots of street parking. Handicap access is easiest from the parking lot.
Note: The Masonic Center is a slightly damp site. You may bring alcoholic beverages to accompany the feast. We remind you to drink responsibly and in moderation. Designated drivers are always encouraged and will receive a special token of appreciation.
Site Fee for the Day
- Adults – $13; Non-member adults – $18
- Children ages 13-18 – $8; Non-member children 13-18 – $13
- Children under 13 are guests of the Barony.
- Feast add $13 for adults
- Feast add $8 for children ages 5-12
- There will be limited off-board seating reservations
- To make reservations for the feast, please go to our Reservation page on google docs.
Please make checks payable to: SCA, Inc. Barony of Lyondemere. If you wish to pay in advance by check, we’ll send you the payment address after receiving your reservation.
Tentative Schedule for the Day
- 1 PM – Gate opens
- 1-3 PM – A&S, Youth Activity, Table décor set up
- 3 PM – Court at their Excellencies’ pleasure
- 5 PM – Last chance to cast populace votes for A&S
- 5:30 PM – Feast
- 7 PM – Dessert Pot luck judging, submit populace votes for table decoration
- 7:30 PM – Presentation of contest awards
- 7:30-8:30 PM – Dancing, merriment, and visiting
- 8:30 PM – Site closes for everyone but the cleaning crew. Everyone is welcome to help clean.
Yule Feast Menu
- Sweetened nuts
- Stuffed dates
- Hasenpheffer – Hare stew or alternate Vegetable Pottage
- Breads and spreads
- Mincemeat tartlet – vegetarian version possible for those who request ahead
- Stuffed Fowl with Galantine sauce – alternate crustless vegetarian humble pie for those who request ahead
- Farced Boars head
- Lemonwhyt – rice dish
- Chickpea and mint salat
- Fungi de Monte
- Fried Gourds
- Nutterbrede – flourless dessert
Lady Arwen NcBaird, Yule@Lyondemere.org, Contact phone number for this event is 310-987-7244.