Caid A&S Challenge
That time of year thou mayst in me behold— William Shakespeare, Sonnet 73.
When yellow leaves, or none, or few, do hang
Upon those boughs which shake against the cold,
Bare ruined choirs, where late the sweet birds sang …
Autumn is upon us! A time of reflection, cozy evenings, indoor arts and preparing for the winter months. For us, we can celebrate on November 21st virtually (via Zoom) the abundance we have with each other and enjoy a day of fun virtual arts, fancy dress and activities.
There will be arts and science displays on our website, games and activities for all to enjoy!
Some of the activities will include:
Fall Ball: Dress in your Autumn best! Theme is all things “Fall” so from autumn colors to dressing in seasonal themed outfits, the sky (and family friendly please) is the limit! Masks, make up, fancy dress garb…whatever is Autumn themed is perfect. Want to do a full theme within your desktop and background? Go for it.
Unconventional Materials Challenge: Create a “Period” item out of unconventional materials (like cardboard, tinfoil, plastic, paper, food items, organic materials, etc). Items can be small functional items, household items, armor, or can be as grand as recreating a painting with wigs and garb. All ages welcomed.
Fall Ball Timed Art & Science challenge: You have 45 days to make a period item. Being period and having documentation is a must. The item can not have been previously started before October 10. All ages (have a youth and adult options). Feedback for your art or science submission will be available upon request at registration.
Check out the form, the photo album, and the documentation at the bottom of this page! Keep scrolling!
Fall Fool Foods: Solteties, & Entremets, illusion foods in SCA themes! Like taking almond paste and turning it into a dragon? Are you great at making food look like other objects (apples made of marzipan, cookies into scrolls, cockentrice, etc) or “playing with your food?” How about a twist on bread bread sculptures with SCA themed shapes? Up to you.
We will be encouraging all artisans to bring their submission to the Zoom day event in order to chat and share your submissions.
November 16 Noon is the deadline for all completed A&S Challenge entries (for Unconventional Materials, Fall Ball Timed Art Challenge, & Fall Fool Foods) must be uploaded to be displayed on the Kingdom website for everyone to enjoy! Feedback can be requested in advance to be received after the event. Didn’t finish the project? Upload it and share anyway!
Registration Link for all Art Challenges here: https://forms.gle/kfKr8xs5ZqmHBraK7
Youth activities: Coloring sheets and other fun activities to download for the day!
- Banqueting Hall: https://www.skiptoncastle.co.uk/uploads/banquetinghall.pdf
- Kitchen Image #1: http://www.godecookery.com/afeast/kitchens/kit004.html
- Kitchen Image #2: http://www.godecookery.com/afeast/kitchens/kit013.html
- Kitchen Image #3: http://www.godecookery.com/afeast/kitchens/kit010.html
- Feast Image #1: http://www.godecookery.com/afeast/feasts/fea010.html
- Feast Image #2: http://www.godecookery.com/afeast/feasts/fea033.html
Autumn Bardic: An evening of music, storytelling and fun. Theme is all things Autumn and the changing of the seasons.. Storytellers, singers, musicians, poetry, etc. are all welcome to perform, participate or just enjoy!
NEW Deadline Extensions!
Wednesday, November 18 and
Friday, November 20
- Wednesday, November 18 Noon: Deadline for all completed A&S Challenge entries (for Unconventional Materials, Fall Ball Timed Art Challenge, & Fall Fool Foods) that wish to get feedback and hints to help improve your project and documentation. If you have something that isn’t done, but want to get feedback, please register and upload by the Wednesday Noon deadline with everything you have completed so far.
- Friday, November 20 Noon: Deadline for those that just wish to display on our website.
All completed challenge objects/submissions must be uploaded to be included on the websites (through the form).
Registration Link for all Art Challenges: https://forms.gle/kfKr8xs5ZqmHBraK7
Saturday, November 21, 2020 — Day of Event
- 3 pm — Zoom “Ball” Starts with everyone showing off their Fall Ball outfits and themed decorations
- 4 pm — Artists can share their projects they created with those within the Zoom room.
- 5 pm — Online games will start.
- 8 pm through the end of the evening — Bardic and Performances
Event Steward: Sensei Asakura Machime firstname.lastname@example.org
This event is sponsored by the Kingdom of Caid, which is part of the Society for Creative Anachronism. More information can be found on our website here:
Facebook Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/2381549742140728/
Fall Ball Virt-U-All Photo Album
Scroll through the photos here, or view directly in Google Photos
Photos and Documentation Links
Arts and Science Challenge
- Lady Rudaba al-Nahdiya – Villanella Documentation
- Lord Ramvoldus Kroll – Curious about Cuir-bouilli
Fall Fool Foods
- THL Johnnae llyn Lewis – Greenman in Autumn
- Lady Kungund Benehonig – Marzipan creations
- Lady Kungund Benehonig – Cabbage creations
- Lady Kungund Benehonig – Edible Illuminated manuscript
Unconventional Materials Challenge
- Lady Rudaba al-Nahdiya – Fall Ball Tanka