Please follow this link to read the Tydes – August 2021
We have a few different types of activities available for our youngest guests. All of the materials can be downloaded at the following Google Drive link. Coloring and Other activities will require a printer to print out the activities. Construction activities may require multiple materials — check out the individual activities to see what you will need.
Try coloring one of our many medieval-inspired scenes!
Try making a wax seal out of clay, a castle out of cardboard, or many more!
Try connecting the dots, or design your own shield!
The following events are on the calendar for the Baron and Baroness to attend in Caid during 2020.
- There are no in-person events currently on the calendar
Winter Solstice traditions hold a high place in many cultures across time and distance. Whether you celebrate Yule in Scandinavia, Saturnalia in Rome, Dong in China, Yalda in Persia, or any other festival that marks the Winter Solstice, you are part of centuries-old traditions still celebrated and revered by millions of people across the globe. In keeping with this world-wide view, our theme for the day is Yule Across the Known World. Join Lyondemere and Gyldenholt in a celebration of these traditions on December 7, 2019. We have a wonderful day planned, including a dessert contest, a wonderful feast, merriment, and entertainment.
Events Throughout the Day
- Arts & Sciences: Krampus! Enter a terrifying mask, win a prize! To be decided by popular vote.
- We invite the populace to bring a Potluck Dessert, please provide a list of ingredients. The Yule Sweets Champion will be decided by our Guests of Honor.
- Table Decorations: Vikings and Mongols and Greeks, oh my! You are invited to decorate the table with items representative of your chosen culture’s unique historical celebration. Knockout gorgeous is also highly encouraged. The populace favorite will be awarded a prize.
- Youth Activity: To be determined, but we promise it will be fun!
- Feast: Menu is yet to be finalized, please email the event steward for vegetarian or allergen needs.
- Bardic:We would love to include you in our festivities. Please contact the event steward to arrange a time in the schedule of the day.
- White Elephant Gift Exchange: If you would like to participate, please bring a gift valued no more than $20
El Segundo Masonic Center
520 Main Street
El Segundo, CA 90245
From the 405 freeway, exit El Segundo Blvd West, right turn on Main Street, the hall is several blocks North of El Segundo Blvd. There is a parking lot that is accessed via the alley behind the property and lots of street parking. Handicap access is easiest from the parking lot.
Note: The Masonic Center is a slightly damp site. You may bring alcoholic beverages to accompany the feast. We remind you to drink responsibly and in moderation. Designated drivers are always encouraged and will receive a special token of appreciation.
Site Fee for the Day
- Adults – $13; Non-member adults – $18
- Children ages 13-18 – $8; Non-member children 13-18 – $13
- Children under 13 are guests of the Barony.
- Feast add $13 for adults
- Feast add $8 for children ages 5-12
- There will be limited off-board seating reservations
- To make reservations for the feast, please go to our Reservation page on google docs.
Please make checks payable to: SCA, Inc. Barony of Lyondemere. If you wish to pay in advance by check, we’ll send you the payment address after receiving your reservation.
Tentative Schedule for the Day
- 1 PM – Gate opens
- 1-3 PM – A&S, Youth Activity, Table décor set up
- 3 PM – Court at their Excellencies’ pleasure
- 5 PM – Last chance to cast populace votes for A&S
- 5:30 PM – Feast
- 7 PM – Dessert Pot luck judging, submit populace votes for table decoration
- 7:30 PM – Presentation of contest awards
- 7:30-8:30 PM – Dancing, merriment, and visiting
- 8:30 PM – Site closes for everyone but the cleaning crew. Everyone is welcome to help clean.
Yule Feast Menu
- Sweetened nuts
- Stuffed dates
- Hasenpheffer – Hare stew or alternate Vegetable Pottage
- Breads and spreads
- Mincemeat tartlet – vegetarian version possible for those who request ahead
- Stuffed Fowl with Galantine sauce – alternate crustless vegetarian humble pie for those who request ahead
- Farced Boars head
- Lemonwhyt – rice dish
- Chickpea and mint salat
- Fungi de Monte
- Fried Gourds
- Nutterbrede – flourless dessert
Lady Arwen NcBaird, Yule@Lyondemere.org, Contact phone number for this event is 310-987-7244.
Join us in November for a bonfire and Beach Bardic event! We will gather in the late afternoon and enjoy stories, songs, and snacks as the sun goes down. Bring a dish to share and a song or tale to share as well, although you are not required to perform-you can listen and enjoy as well.
Location: Cabrillo Beach, San Pedro, California 90003
Look for SCA friends gathered around the firepits…. we will have banners or other means to identify us.
Please follow this link to read the Tydes – Nov 2019
Please follow this link to read the Tydes – Aug 2019
Please follow this link to read the Tydes – May 2019
It was 41 years ago that the Barony of Lyondemere was founded and it’s time to celebrate with a day of tournament, food, and merriment. Join us on Saturday, June 29, 2019, and while we are no longer considered young’ins, we refuse to grow up! It’s time for amusement with various period games, scavenger hunts, games of chance, prizes, and fun. All ages are welcome to participate!
In addition to these activities, we will, of course, hold our combat championships in Armored and Rapier (a modified Swiss-5 tournament), as well as our Lyon Bard competition. More details for the championships will be shared soon!
We ask that groups (any group, from Barony to Household) each host a period game or activity to encourage fun! Sign-ups for games will be available soon.
Of course, our Anniversary tournament wouldn’t be the same without the infamous Donation Raffle fundraiser. There will be many beautiful items (most hand crafted) available. Tickets for chances to win these items are $1 each or 6 for $5.
The Right and Noble Order of the Upper Crust will be providing a lunch for a small fee. All proceeds go to the West Coast Culinary Symposium which Caid is hosting in 2020. Details on menu and pricing will be forthcoming.
Event Site: Syd Kronenthal Park, 3459 McManus Ave, Culver City, CA 90232
Site Fees: $15 per adult (with a $5 SCA-member discount). $3 for children ages 6-12. Please make checks payable to “SCA, Inc. Barony of Lyondemere.”
Event Stewards: Avicia de Na Baiona, Vincenzo di Lyondemere, Caellach mac Uilliam, Sadhbh inghean Duinn, and Asakura Machime
- 8:00 AM – Site opens for set up
- 9:00 AM – Lists and Gate open
- 10:00 AM – Opening Court
- 15-30 minutes after Court – Lists Close
- 1:00 PM – Populace Lunch
- 6:00 PM – Site Closes
Attendees are highly encouraged to carpool as parking will be limited. Attendees are advised not to park in the residential neighborhood surrounding the park off Reid Avenue, Roberts Avenue, McManus Avenue, or Faye Avenue. Washington Blvd does have parking, which is several blocks away.
Anyone bringing sunshades, tents, or pop ups are required to have Flame Retardant Certification. Most modern sunshades and pop ups have these on the tent as well as some of the manufactured period tents, have this as well. Please email photos of your Flame Retardant Certification to our event stewards email@example.com as soon as possible, before the event, to be allowed to set up.
Various games and contests will be going on throughout the day.
Raffle drawing will close AFTER finals so all can participate (fundraiser) and we will start selling tickets after court.
Setup Up Raffle Tickets: We need all hands-on deck during set up! Anyone who is not a member of the Barony who shows up to help with setup will receive 10 FREE raffle tickets! See the Seneschal (Magistra Claudia) or the event stewards to receive tickets.
Please follow this link to read the Tydes – February 2019